Achari Chicken Curry is a spicy, lip-smacking, finger-licking, chicken curry recipe from North India. This Achari Chicken Curry is a unique and scrumptious preparation of chicken curry made with pickling spices, which gives this curry a nice spicy, tangy flavors.
WHAT IS ACHARI CHICKEN CURRY
Achar or Achari, means pickle in India. Pickles are made using various spices and vegetables, and are preserved using some oil and salt. These pickles can be preserved for several months or even upto a year. Pickles vary from sweet and tangy to spicy and tangy in taste and flavors. Pickles are served with meals in most Indian homes.
This Achari Chicken curry preparation is quite similar to many other Indian chicken curry recipes, except for it uses the pickling spices, which makes this chicken curry quite unique and flavorful. This type of chicken curry is mainly prepared where the climate is hot, using the pickling spices/pickles actually help preserve the chicken curry in the hot temperature, while enhancing the flavors at the same time.
HOW TO MAKE ACHARI CHICKEN CURRY
This Achari Chicken curry is one of my favorite chicken curry. I often make this curry at home, my family loves this spicy, scrumptious chicken curry. Today, I am sharing my recipe for Achari Chicken or Pickled Chicken Curry. It's quick and delicious, preserving the authenticity of this recipe. Enjoy this easy and authentic, pickling, lip smacking recipe of chicken curry!!
The preparation of this Achari Chicken curry is quite similar to most of the other chicken curry's. The unique or the key ingredient is the achari spice mix, which gives this curry a achari or pickled flavor. This chicken curry recipe is one of my favorite recipe. It is so easy to prepare, yet is one of the best curry's you may have ever tried.
INGREDIENTS FOR ACHARI CHICKEN CURRY
CHICKEN - The recipe uses whole, bone-in chicken, cut into pieces. However, boneless skinless chicken thighs can also be substituted.
ONION - red or yellow onion are preferred for this recipe.
OIL - traditionally, this chicken curry is made in mustard oil. However, you can use oil of your choice.
TOMATO SAUCE / PUREE - adds a nice flavor and texture to the chicken curry.
LEMON JUICE - adds a refreshing flavor to the chicken curry.
GINGER GARLIC PASTE - adds a ton of flavor to this dish.
THICK YOGURT - yogurt gives a nice, thick creamy texture to the curry. I am using store bought Indian yogurt. However, Greek yogurt may also be substituted.
ACHAR GHOST MASALA - this spice mix is used for preparation of Achar or Achari chicken or mutton curry. This spice mix is easily available in most Indian/Asian grocery stores. You can find it in most Asian grocery stores or order it here on Amazon
CORIANDER POWDER - You can find it in most Asian grocery stores or order it here on Amazon
KASHMIRI RED CHILI POWDER - this red chili powder is very mild and is mainly used to give a nice vibrant color to the dish. You can find it in most Asian grocery stores or order it here on Amazon
RED CHILI POWDER - the heat in the curry comes from the red chili powder. You can find it in most Asian grocery stores or order it here on Amazon
TURMERIC POWDER -You can find it in most Asian grocery stores or order it here on Amazon
DRY MANGO POWDER - gives a nice tangy flavor to the curry. You can skip it or add some lemon or lime juice instead. You can find it most Asian grocery stores or order it here on Amazon.
GARAM MASALA - adds an additional layer of flavor to this chicken curry. You can find it most Asian grocery stores or order it here on Amazon
HOW TO SERVE ACHARI CHICKEN CURRY
I like to serve Achari Chicken curry with some tandoori roti or paratha, some onion laccha (thinly sliced onion salad) and some lemon wedge on side.
HOW TO STORE ACHARI CHICKEN CURRY
Achari Chicken Curry stays fresh for 3-4 days in the refrigerator.
Achari Chicken curry freezes well too. Divide the curry into freezer safe containers. Store it in the freezer for upto 2 months. Defrost the curry overnight in the refrigerator. Reheat and serve!
Here are some more recipes for you to enjoy!!
Dal Makhani – creamy, flavorful, aromatic dal made with black gram lentils, kidney beans
Aloo Gobi – simple, easy, delicious Potato Cauliflower curry
Kale Chane Ke Kebab - vegetarian kebabs made with black chickpeas
Carrot Halwa - quick and easy carrot halwa.
Subscribe to our Youtube Channel for easy and delicious video recipes. Happy Cooking!!
Achari Chicken / Pickled Chicken Curry
Marinate the chicken:
- 3 lbs - 1 whole chicken, cut into pieces
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste
- ½ cup thick yogurt
- 1-½ tablespoon ACHAR GHOST MASALA
- 2 teaspoon CORIANDER POWDER
- ½ teaspoon KASHMIRI RED CHILI POWDER, for color
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- ½ teaspoon TURMERIC POWDER
- ½ teaspoon DRY MANGO POWDER (optional)
- Salt to taste
- 2 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2-3 tablespoon oil
- ¼ cup tomato sauce/puree
- ½ teaspoon GARAM MASALA, optional
- Handful of fresh cilantro
- 3-4 green chili
- lemon wedges
- 1 onion thinly sliced
MARINATE THE CHICKEN
- In a mixing bowl, add chicken, lemon juice, ginger-garlic paste and yogurt. Add achar gosht masala, corinader powder, kashmiri red chili powder, red chili powder, turmeric powder, dry mango powder, and salt to taste. Mix well. Cover the chicken and keep it aside for minimum 30 minutes to an hour.
INSTRUCTION FOR INSTANT POT COOKING
- Turn on Instant Pot to saute mode (high). When the "HOT" sign displays, add oil. Add sliced onion. Saute onion until light brown in color, around 5-7 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce/puree. Mix well.
- Add the marinated chicken. Saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Set Instant Pot to Pressure Cook mode (HI) for 10 minutes. Let pressure release naturally, around 10-15 minutes.
- Open the Instant Pot, add garam masala, whole green chili (optional).
- Serve Achari Chicken garnished with some fresh cilantro, lemon wedges, and thinly sliced onion on side. Enjoy Achari Chicken with Roti, Naan, or Paratha!
- Boneless skinless chicken thighs can also be used for this recipe.
- Depending upon the size of the chicken pieces, the cooking time will vary. Please use the timing as a guideline.
- The consistency of Achari Chicken is slightly thick, since this is mainly served with roti/paratha/naan. You may adjust the consistency as per taste.
- Adjust spiciness as per taste. For less spicy chicken curry, reduce the amount of red chili powder and garam masala.
- The flavors in the chicken curry come from achar (pickle) gosht masala (seasoning mix), which is easily available in most Indian/Asian grocery stores. If unable to find, you can always substitute some pickle of your choice.
- For Stove Top Pressure Cooking: Follow the same recipe, after the first whistle, reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for around 10 mins. Rest of the recipe is same as Instant pot.
Nutrition values are my best estimates. If you rely on them for your diet, use your preferred nutrition calculator.
KEYWORDachari murgh, achari chicken, instant pot, instant pot recipes, instant pot chicken curry, instant pot indian recipes, chicken curry recipes,pressure cooker recipes, pressure cooker chicken curry
PIN IT FOR LATER