This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Thank you for your support!
This healthy, low-carb Chicken And Cabbage Soup is made from scratch in no time. This soup is loaded with flavors from chicken, cabbage, carrots, and celery. This soup will sure warm you up on cold winter nights!
Chicken And Cabbage Soup is a delicious one-pot meal, perfect for cold winter nights. It’s raining like crazy here, with dipping temperatures, and all the crazy weather thought what could be better for this cold night than a warm and hearty, comforting bowl of soup, which tastes good and is also healthy too. I wanted a soup that is light and filling, without any added cream or fat. And this soup is exactly what I needed. Ready in no-time, one of the easiest and healthiest soups I have tried thus far. This soup requires very minimum of prep, and is so easy to make and is done in no time. This soup is made with goodness of fresh ingredients (such as garlic, onion, celery, carrots), chicken, loads of cabbage and some salt and pepper, perfect ingredients in a bowl of soup!!
How to make Chicken and Cabbage soup?
Home-made Chicken and Cabbage soup, is a easy, healthy, low-carb soup. This soup is ready in minutes and is quite hunger satisfying too. I have been enjoying this soup a lot, being a low-carb, healthy, this is on our dinner rotation.
There are couple of ways to make this soup, some like to add the cabbage right in the beginning with the chicken. However, I prefer to add cabbage after the chicken is cooked. Cabbage does not take very long to cook, and adding it with the chicken, I feel it gets slightly overcooked for our taste. However, feel free to add the cabbage with chicken if you like. The soup will still taste yum!!
Ingredients for this healthy, low-carb, Chicken and Cabbage soup:
- Chicken – I am using boneless, skinless chicken breast for this recipe. However, bone-in chicken may also be substituted instead of chicken breast. If using bone-in chicken, make sure you have enough chicken meat to add to the soup after you shred the chicken. I sometimes even use the leftover rotisserie to make this soup and it tastes delicious.
- Cabbage – a small to medium size cabbage, roughly chopped around 3 cups. If you like more cabbage feel free to add more. I like to save some cabbage, and add it as a garnish for that extra crunch in the soup.
- Carrots – to add some veggies and for some sweetness.
- Onions – I prefer yellow onion, as it has mild flavor as compared to red onion.
- Garlic – it adds a nice flavor to the soup. I prefer fresh garlic, but you could totally use garlic powder or minced garlic for this recipe.
- Ginger – (optional) I sometimes also add a piece of ginger, just to give it a nice gingery flavor.
- Tomatoes – I am using mix of diced tomatoes and tomato puree, just to add a nice texture to the soup.
- Herbs – herbs that go well with this soup and some of my family favorites include thyme, dill, parsley, bay leaf. I use one or combination of herbs to add more depth and flavor to this soup. You can use any herb of your choice.
- Wine – (optional) It adds a nice depth of flavor to the soup, any dry white wine works fine. Alternatively, you could just add broth instead and it still tastes great.
- Broth – low sodium vegetable or chicken broth adds an additional layer of flavor. Low sodium broth helps control the sodium intake. You can also use a bouillon, mix it with water as per package instructions and use it.
Instructions for Chicken and Cabbage soup in Instant Pot:
I like to make this Chicken and Cabbage soup in Instant Pot, it is so easy to make and is ready in no-time.
Turn Instant Pot to Saute mode (high). When it displays “HOT” sign, add oil.
Add onion, garlic, celery, carrots. Saute for 2-3 mins or until onion are translucent.
Add the chicken, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, chicken stock, thyme, salt and pepper.
Set Instant Pot to Manual mode (High) for 10 mins. Let pressure release naturally, around 10 mins.
Open the Instant Pot remove the chicken breast out. With the help of a fork, shred the chicken.
Turn Instant Pot on Saute mode (High). Add the shredded chicken back into the soup, add cabbage, bring the soup to a boil, adjust the seasoning. Cook for 3-5 min or until cabbage is tender and cooked to a desired texture. Serve hot. Enjoy!
Variations for this Chicken and Cabbage soup
- Egg noddles – sometimes I also add some egg noddles, just to make it more interesting and fun for kids.
- Vegetables – handful on peas, corn, beans, can also be added to make it more healthy.
- Vegetarian – You can make this soup completely vegetarian, don’t use any chicken. Add vegetable stock instead of chicken stock. For protein, you can substitute some tofu.
Toppings for Chicken and Cabbage soup
I like to keep my soup quite simple, however feel free to add toppings of your choice. Some of the toppings that my family enjoys are:
- Add some finely shredded cabbage for that extra crunch.
- Add some freshly squeezed lemon or lime juice, some freshly chopped cilantro or green onions, some jalapenos.
- Some chili garlic sauce or any hot sauce, to add some heat or some crushed red chili pepper.
Here are some more recipes from blog. Enjoy!!
Broccoli Cheddar Soup – thick, creamy soup made with broccoli, cheddar cheese
Cream of Mushroom Soup – cream, comforting, earthy flavors in a bowl of soup
How to Steam Broccoli – Instant Pot – easiest and a healthier way to make broccoli
Dal Makhani – creamy, flavorful, aromatic dal made with black gram lentils, kidney beans
Aloo Gobi – simple, easy, delicious Potato Cauliflower curry
Strawberry Jam – 3-ingredients, super easy, finger-licking homemade Strawberry Jam
★ If you have tried this recipe, we would love your feedback. Please leave a comment. You can also follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, for all the latest on my blog!!
Subscribe to our Youtube Channel for easy and delicious video recipes. Happy Cooking!!
Chicken And Cabbage Soup
- 1 lbs chicken breast, boneless and skinless (2 chicken breasts)
- 1 small cabbage roughly chopped, around 3 cups
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrot, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves (or 1 tsp dried thyme)
- 1 tbsp oil / butter
- 1 tsp fresh coarsely crushed black pepper, as per taste
- 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 4 cup chicken stock, or water
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly crushed black pepper, to taste
- Turn ON Instant Pot to SAUTE mode (high). When it displays "HOT" add oil.
- Add onion, garlic, celery, carrots. Saute for 2-3 mins or until onions are translucent.
- Add the chicken, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, chicken stock, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Set Instant Pot to MANUAL / PRESSURE COOK mode (High) for 10 mins. Let pressure release naturally, around 10 mins.
- Open the Instant Pot remove the chicken breast out. With the help of a fork, shred the chicken.
- Turn ON Instant Pot on SAUTE mode (High). Add the shredded chicken back into the soup, add cabbage, bring the soup to a boil, adjust the seasoning. Cook for 3-5 mins or until cabbage is tender and cooked to a desired texture. Serve hot. Enjoy!
- Bone-in chicken may also be substituted instead of chicken breast. If using bone-in chicken, make sure you have enough chicken meat to add to the soup after you shred the chicken.
- You can use chicken broth, vegetable broth or even water.
- Cabbage upon cooking releases lots of moisture, adjust the consistency of the soup by adding some more chicken stock if needed.
- You can make this soup completely vegetarian, don't use any chicken. Add vegetable stock instead of chicken stock. For protein, you can substitute some tofu.
- Variations for this Chicken and Cabbage soup - checkout the discussion earlier in the post.
- Toppings for Chicken and Cabbage soup- checkout the discussion earlier in the post.
Nutrition values are my best estimates. If you rely on them for your diet, use your preferred nutrition calculator.
KEYWORDchicken,cabbage,chicken soup,chicken and cabbage soup,instant pot,instant pot soup,instant pot chicken and cabbage soup,healthy recipes, low-carb
How/when do I add the noodles?
Jyoti Behrani says
Hi, Cook the noodles separately as per package directions. Just before serving the soup add the noodles. Add some broth to adjust the consistency of the soup. Hope this helps. Thanks!
Loved this recipe. I’m not a world class cook (novice), but making this was easy and result was fantastic. I will make this a mainstay to my repertoire. I added red pepper flakes to give it a kick.
Jyoti Behrani says
Hi Carol, I am glad you liked my recipe 🙂
This is the second time I make this soupe – love it
Jyoti Behrani says
Awesome! I am so glad you liked my recipe. Thanks for sharing your feedback!
Teela Stoll says
It tastes good but is lacking a certain fullness of flavor. I think I’d maybe it’s just the healthy, low fat nature of the soup so can’t complain about that really!
I added some chunks of potatoes for a bit more fullness and it worked great. Used frozen chunks of 4 cm chicken breast cubes and did 11 minutes instead of 10, potatoes and chicken cooked perfectly.
Jyoti Behrani says
Adding potatoes to the soup sounds good. I am so glad you liked my recipe. Thanks for trying my recipe and for sharing your feedback!