Instant Pot Beets - This quick and easy recipe, is to cook tender, juicy, candy-like beets in Instant Pot. Learn how to cook beets or beetroots in an Instant pot – Enjoy these earthy, flavorful beets as it is, as a side or in a salad!
Post also includes how to cook beets on stovetop and oven method.
Table of contents
- Instant Pot Beets
- Beets Nutritional values
- How to cook Beets in Instant Pot?
- How to cook Beets on stovetop?
- How to roast whole Beets in an Oven?
- Common Questions
- More Instant Pot Basics
- Comforting Soup Recipes
Instant Pot Beets
Cooking beets in an Instant Pot is a quick and easy way to prepare them than traditional cooking methods such as stovetop or roasting in an oven.
My mom used to make beets in a stovetop pressure cooker. It was such a quick and healthy dish that could be enjoyed as it is or as aside. My mom used to call them sweet, candy-like. And yes, that's how I learned to eat beets as a kid. Seriously, they tasted just like candy and I could just eat them the whole day. LOL!!!
I love to cook beets in Instant Pot. It is quick, easy and efficient than the traditional methods. Whenever I make Instant Pot beets, they come out tender, moist, and perfectly cooked every time.
My kids love instant pot beets - sweet, juicy, and candy-like! I try to incorporate as many veggies as I can into our diet and what a great way to enjoy these flavorful and healthy beets.
Beets Nutritional values
Beetroots or beets have great nutritional value. Beets are high in natural sugars, low in calories, and a great source of nutrients such as vitamins, and minerals. They are also a good source of folic acid and fiber. Beets are delicious and due to their nutritional benefits, can easily fit into a well-balanced, healthy diet.
How to cook Beets in Instant Pot?
Cooking beets in Instant Pot is a great way to retain most of their nutrient value, thus making them a healthier cooking option. Steaming the beets also helps retain the vibrant color of the beets, which is somewhat lost when beets are boiled. I find this method to be very efficient and easy.
Prep the beets
When you bring beets home from the store, you can cook them right away or store them for later use. Beets will stay fresh for up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator if they are properly stored. Here's how I prep the beets:
Trim the beet greens, leaving about an inch of stem attached. You can use these beet greens to make a stir fry or add them in soups or curries, just like any other greens.
Gently scrub the beets with a vegetable brush to remove any dirt and debris. Wash the beets thoroughly.
To store the beets, pat dry beets with a paper towel to remove any extra moisture. You can store the beets in a vegetable bag or a plastic zip-lock bag in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
When you are ready to cook beets, remove them from the refrigerator and cook the beets as per desired.
Pick beets of somewhat equal size when cooking together.
Pour a cup of water into the Instant Pot. Place a trivet inside the Instant Pot and arrange the beets on top of the trivet. You can also use a steamer basket. For small size cook for 10-12 minutes, for medium-size beets somewhere between 15-18 minutes, and larger beets cook for 20-25 minutes.
Once the cooking time is up, use the 10-minute natural pressure release, and then after 10 minutes manually release the remaining pressure. Check for the doneness of the beets by inserting a knife through one of the beets. If not then cook them for a few more minutes. Carefully remove the cooked beets from the Instant Pot.
Once the beets have cooled, the skin can be easily peeled off with a vegetable peeler or by rubbing it off with a paper towel. Instant Pot beets can be used in a variety of dishes, such as salads, soups, or as a side dish. They can also be sliced and pickled for a tasty snack.
How to cook Beets on stovetop?
If you find beets have quite an intense earthy flavor then this method might be just right for you. Boiling the beets produces tender, less intense flavor beets. Beets lose some of their nutritional value and vibrant color, as the beets are boiled in hot water.
Wash the beets thoroughly, and trim off the stem. Place the beets in a large pot and cover them with water. Bring the water to a boil, reduce the heat to low, and simmer until fork-tender. For small to medium 20-25 minutes. For large beets 45-60 minutes. Immediately removed the cooked beets from the hot water and allow them to cool. Peel off the skin and enjoy beets.
How to roast whole Beets in an Oven?
Roasting the beets is yet another way of cooking beets. . Roasting beets add to the sweetness and subtle flavor. Depending upon the size of the beets it can take somewhere from 30 minutes to an hour.
Pat dry beets with a paper towel to remove any extra moisture. Arrange the beets in a deep baking dish. Drizzle some olive oil and give the beets an oil massage. Sprinkle some salt and pepper. Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil.
Roast beets at 400°F until fork-tender. Depending upon the size of the beets, it can take from 30 minutes to an hour. For small to medium-sized beets, roast for 30-45 minutes. For large beets, roast for 60 minutes or until fork-tender. Remove beets from the oven, and allow them to cool for 15-20 minutes. Cut the stem, and peel off the skin.
How to buy Beets?
Beets range from small golf ball sizes to fist-size bulbs. Small to medium beets are mostly used, as they cook quickly. Large-size beets are best roasted in the oven, as slow heat produces moist, tender, sweet beets.
Beets come in different colors, shapes, and sizes. Red, violet, white, yellow, and even golden colors. Whichever color you pick, chose the unblemished ones, without any cuts or dents.
Check the stem, if it is firm means the beets are fresh. Also, if the beet greens (if still attached) leaves are fresh and not wilted, means the beets are fresh.
Can I cook Instant Pot Beets without a trivet?
Yes, you can cook beets without the trivet or steamer basket. In that case, you would be boiling the beets instead of steaming them.
Add water to the Instant Pot or stovetop pressure cooker, arrange the beets in the pot, and follow the same recipe as discussed earlier.
Do I have to peel the skin?
The skin of the beets is edible once it is cooked. It is a personal preference to leave the skin on or not on the beets. However, I prefer to peel the skin, once the beets are cooked.
What herbs go well with Beets?
Beets have a nice earthy, sweet flavor. They pair well with warm and aromatic herbs and spices. I love the combination of fresh herbs such as coriander, dill, thyme, and basil.
How to serve Beets?
There are endless possibilities to use the beets. I use cooked beets in salads, to make hummus, in smoothies, or dip. You can dice, chop, slice, or mash the beets. Use them to make bread dough, soups, curries, pilaf, and so on. Comment down below and let us know your favorite way to enjoy cooked beets.
Beets are naturally sweet, but you can enhance the sweetness by adding some Balsamic vinegar or drizzling some honey.
My favorite way to enjoy beets is with just a sprinkle of Himalayan pink salt and freshly, crushed, coarse black pepper. When you bite on the freshly ground coarse black pepper with beets, it just adds a burst of flavor!
How to store Beets?
Peel and slice or cut the beets into desired pieces. Store it in an airtight container for 3-5 days in the refrigerator. Use it as desired.
TRIED THIS RECIPE?
Hope you enjoy this Instant Pot Beets!! If you give this recipe a try, please rate the recipe by clicking the stars on the recipe card. Leave a comment and share your experience. Thank you!
Follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram for all the latest on my blog!! Subscribe to my Youtube Channel for easy and delicious video recipes. Happy Cooking!!
More Instant Pot Basics
How to Steam Broccoli – Instant Pot
How To Cook Basmati Rice – Instant Pot
Instant Pot Perfect Boiled Baby Potatoes
How to cook Chickpeas – Instant Pot
Comforting Soup Recipes
Roasted Red Pepper Tomato Soup
Instant Pot Chicken Pot Pie Soup
Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup
Learn how to cook juicy Beets - Instant Pot, Stovetop, Oven
- 3 medium beets or beetroots
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon olive oil, optional
HOW TO PREP BEETS
- Trim the beet greens, leaving about an inch of stem attached.
- Gently scrub the beets with a vegetable brush to remove any dirt and debris. Wash the beets thoroughly.
HOW TO COOK BEETS IN AN INSTANT POT
- Pick beets of somewhat equal size when cooking together.
- You will need Steamer rack trivet OR Steamer basketPour a cup of water into the Instant Pot. Place a trivet inside the Instant Pot and arrange the beets on top of the trivet. Close the Instant Pot lid, with a vent on “sealing”.
- Cook on Manual or Pressure Cook (high) for 15 minutes.Note: Adjust the cooking time depending upon the size of the beets.Small size: 10-12 minutesMedium size: 15-18 minutesLarge size: 20-25 minutes
- Let pressure release naturally, around 10 minutes, and then manually remove the remaining pressure. Open the lid and check if beets are cooked by inserting a clean knife. If it goes through easily, the beets are cooked. If required cook for additional few minutes.
- Remove the beets from the Instant Pot and onto a plate. Once beets are cool, peel off the skin using your hands or with the help of a paper towel.
- Slice or cut into desired pieces. Enjoy beets as a side or in a salad!
HOW TO COOK BEETS ON STOVETOP
- Place the beets in a large pot and cover them with water.
- Bring the water to a boil, reduce the heat to low, and simmer until fork-tender. For small to medium 20-25 minutes. For large beets 45-60 minutes.
- Immediately removed the cooked beets from the hot water and allow them to cool.
- Peel off the skin and enjoy beets.
HOW TO ROAST WHOLE BEETS IN AN OVEN
- Pat dry beets with a paper towel to remove any extra moisture.
- Arrange the beets in a baking dish. Drizzle some olive oil to coat the beats. Sprinkle some salt and pepper. Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil.
- Roast beets at 400°F until fork-tender. Depending upon the size of the beets, it can take from 30 minutes to an hour. For small to medium-size beets, roast for 30-45 minutes. For large beets, roast for 60 minutes or until fork-tender.
- Remove beets from the oven, allow them to cool for 15-20 minutes. Cut the stem, and peel off the skin.
HOW TO STORE COOKED BEETS
- Peel and slice or cut the beets into desired pieces. Store it in airtight container for 3-5 days in the refrigerator. Use it as desired.
- Beets' Nutritional values
- Common Questions
Nutrition values are my best estimates. If you rely on them for your diet, use your preferred nutrition calculator.
KEYWORDbeetroot instant pot, beetroots, beets, beets in instant pot, beets instant pot, how to cook beets, instant pot beets
This is so easy!! Thank you so much!! I will do this method from now on.
Any way you cook them, beets are delicious. Love them in salads, and my family loves pickled beets too. Thanks for all the tips.
Cooked these in an instant pot following your instructions and the result was amazing! Just the right texture! Thanks for sharing your tips!
This is such a helpful guide, I often get beets in my veg box and will bookmark this for tips next time!
I usually bake my beets, but the stove top method for this is a great alternative for me, especially for making salads.